5 One-pot Meal Flavoured Rice Recipes for School Lunch Box
It’s time to think about Lunch Box Ideas as the school has started again.
1. Spinach Rice with cottage cheese and tomato.
You need: Spinach 1/2 th cup(chopped fine), garlic six pods (minced), onion 1(chopped), Tomato 2 medium size, coriander leaves 1/4th cup(chopped fine), cottage cheese (paneer) – half cup, cashews halved 8, cinnamon 1/2 inch, bay leaf 2, green chilli 2 (optional), cloves 3, nutmeg powder- a few pinch, Rice (preferably any fragrant rice) – 1 cup, Butter- 3 teaspoons, salt and sugar(as per taste)
- Preparation: Wash the Rice, spinach, coriander leaves, and tomato, chilly and keep aside. Cook the Rice halfway through. Rice should be firm but not raw. Now take the Butter (2 spoons)in a heavy bottom pan, and add fry cashews till light brown. Take out cashews from the pan and keep them aside. Add the cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, and chilli if you have taken them in the same pan. After it releases flavour, add the garlic (minced) and chopped onions. Fry well, but don’t let it become brown. Now add the spinach and coriander. Stir well and mix. The tomato should be added and cooked until the tomatoes are soft. Now add the nutmeg and crushed cottage cheese. To thoroughly combine, stir for a while. Now add the Rice. Mix well and add salt. Cover and cook till Rice is fluffy. Add little sugar, cashews, and some more butter(1 spoon).
Rest it for 10 minutes before serving. Nutritious school lunch box ready!
2. Beetroot Rice with peanuts
It would help if you had: 1 beetroot (pureed), curry leaves, mustard seeds, ginger paste (1/4th teaspoon), 1/4th cup curd(beaten), shredded coconut (1/3 cup), coconut oil for cooking, raw peanuts (handful), Rice 1 cup, chopped coriander leaves(handful)
- Preparation: Wash and cook the rice and keep it aside to cool completely. Be careful, Rice should be firm and 70% cooked. Heat the oil right in a pan with a thick bottom and a heavy bottom, then pour it out. Now, throw the mustard seed and curry leaves in the same oil. Add the ginger paste and continue cooking for a few minutes after the mustard crackles. Now add the pureed beetroot. Simmer and cook covered till the raw smell disappears and beetroot is cooked. Add in the curd and keep stirring and mixing in medium flame till the curd is mixed well with beetroot giving the mixture a pink colour. Cooked rice has now been added; thoroughly combine. Stir till beetroot is combined with Rice and the Rice absorbs the liquid completely. Add shredded coconut and peanuts. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Prior to serving, the rice must rest for 10 minutes.
This is flavorful, nutritious, easy to make, and yummy. You can enjoy this school lunch box idea in your meal as well!!
3. Peas and red bell pepper fried rice
It would help if you had: Fresh peas (1/2 cup), 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped small), onion 1, ginger-garlic paste(1/4 teaspoon), coriander leaves(handful), cinnamon 1/2 inch, cloves 3, bay leaves 2/3, black pepper 5, Rice (preferably fragrant long grain rice like basmati), Ghee (clarified butter) for cooking.
- Preparation: Wash and cook rice at 80% and cool completely (It’s easier to spread the rice on a big plate and keep it under a fan immediately. This ensures Rice will not get sticky. Now, heat Ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add the whole spices. Sautés a few minutes till a nice aroma is released. The onion is then added and fried till transparent. It is time to add the peas and chopped red bell peppers. Stir fry vegetables for a few minutes. Now add the cool Rice and fry together. To balance the flavour, you can, if you’d like, add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar.
Rest for 10 minutes and serve. This is awesome both in taste and look!! School lunch box sorted for the kid:)
4. Brocolli and sweet corn Pulao
You need Butter (2 teaspoons), cinnamon(1/2 inch), peppercorns 5/6, bay leaf 2/3, ginger and green chilli paste, broccoli florets (1 cup), sweet corn (1/2 cup), coconut milk(1 cup), salt, sugar, rice ( preferably any fragrant rice), water.
- Preparation: In a heavy Bottom deep vessel, heat the Butter. Chilli paste, ginger, and peppercorns should also be added. Add in the sweet corn as well. Stir again for a few minutes. Add the cleaned rice, and cook it until all the water evaporates. It should be simmering when you add the coconut milk and 1 cup of water.
As water evaporates and Rice is cooked at 90%, cover and steam for a few minutes and remove from fire. Don’t lift the lid just yet. Here is your one-pot school lunch box, easy, tasty, and full of nutrition!
5. Coriander, mint, and chickpeas pulao
You need: Ghee(clarified butter), cloves(2/3), pepper corns(4/5), bay leaf(2/3), Onions(1.5 medium sized), Garlic(chopped – 1 spoon), green chilli ( optional), Tomato 1, coriander and mint leaves( chopped fine 1/2 cup each), Chickpeas(1/2 cup boiled) and steamed potato 1(cut in cubes),Fragrant small grain rice (1 cup)and water(1 cup)
- Preparation: Heat ghee in a thick Botton deep vessel. Wait for a pleasant scent before adding the whole spices. Include the onions and garlic at this stage. Saute well but not brown; just when it is about to get a brown colour, add the tomato and green chilli salt. Cook tomato until it is soft. Now add the Rice and coriander, and mint. Mix well and sauté for a minute. Add water and bring it to a boil.
When water is absorbed 90%, slow the heat, cover for a few minutes, and let the rice steam. Remove from heat and allow rest for 15 minutes before serving. And lastly, you want to choose school lunch box ideas that will appeal to your child. Make sure to include a variety of foods in the lunch box for kids, including some that are healthy and some that they enjoy eating. This will help them to stay fuller for longer and be more likely to eat what you’ve packed.
Ready with school lunch box. Let the kiddo enjoy!!
My Pingpong is the best parenting resource available for good and healthy families. We provide the best online child specialists to assist your child’s growth.
Find Everything You Need for Parenting!