Toddler age range and all you need to know about them
I still remember my son’s first birthday. It felt like a year passed off in a jiffy! That’s what babies are. The fastest growing and the fastest developing. Toddler age range is active and fun!
The transition from an infant to toddler to teenager will happen before you realize.
Once they enter the toddler stage you will find a change in your daily routine too.
I used to love the extra nap time that my baby gives me.
Seriously…like I am a total dozer…and once I became a mom, my dozing time just reduced and reduced….not always coz of my tiny baby but also coz I wanted to catch up on all that I missed.
Like reading the unfinished book, doing my yoga, washing a few nappies, sterilizing the bottle….and the list is endless….
Each day suggestions poured from all around….”rest when the baby rests”…never happened with me though….How on earth do I rest when have so much to finish…all while the baby sleeps….
I would like to really know how the new moms rest while the baby rests!!
But…..hang on….all this will change by the time they end the first year. Child care will be a different game now…the feeds will get less frequent, sleep times will start matching yours to an extent, they will sleep longer during the night and many more to ease your day out….so new moms….hang in there….
Toddler meaning and toddler age range
What age group is a toddler? Generally speaking, a child between one and three years of age is referred as toddlers.
Cute and naughty, this age children are an experience. They will surprise you each day and change each day.
Each child is different and at this age they are often very unpredictable. You will love this stage of your child and the more you are personally involved with them, the better it is for the preschooling age ahead.
This age particularly is the foundation to many more development that is expected. Every child develops at a different rate and different way. While you should keep a track of their milestones overall, don’t let yourself get finicky over every developmental detail. It is a fine balance that we need to have.
A very funny observation I have had is the fact that first time parents specially moms, become over concerned with the Childs development. While it is perfectly normal, try to see things in a broad perspective if your child is developing fine for the last few months.
Do not panic too much on the Child’s learning abilities, Speech development, Food etc. You are the best judge and you can feel if there is a major problem. If not , do not fret.
We are going to discuss some of the common concerns that parents could have and how to deal with them.
Toddler age development
The word “toddler” is derived from “ to toddle”. At this age the child cannot walk steadily, that is it “toddles”. So between the age of one and three roughly, the little munckins are “toddlers”.
After three years in most cases they start being steady at walk and they are cognitively much more advanced.
They can understand quite a bit in toddler age range and may also speak a good number of words. They will learn a lot just by observing you and try to immitate.
I used to be amazed when almost every other day I found my tiny one actually understands the meaning of a new word and also relates how and where to use them.
For example, when my son was around two, if he wanted a particular toy, he would say or point. If you fetch some other toy, he disapproved. Like for a red car , he wouldn’t do with a blue car or a red teddy.
So you see, he knows “Car” and “Red”!
Toddler age appropriate behaviour
As parents it is important to observe and understand a toddler’s behavior. Every child is different just like we adults are. So it is important to understand their temparament.
This will help you handle them better. At this age it is also important that they build a self esteem.
Self esteem helps a child develop into more independant, caring and responsible individual.
One way of developing a Childs self esteem is to encourage and sometimes reward them for good behaviour.
You might notice kindergarten schools sometimes have this star system. If a child does good work or behaves well, they are given stars or smily.
This is psychological. The child learns that doing good will be rewarded in some way. Practice this at home.
When your child completes homework, finishes food, tries to dress on his own or just puts away toys after play.
This way they not only develop good habits but also understands responsibility.
We often teach a child to share. It will work much better if you show some sharing and cooperation at his presence with your spouse or family member.
Involve your child or just explain, how and why you are sharing and cooperating. Help is always apprciated. Sharing and co-operation is also reciprocated in a good way. Explain this to the child in your own way.
He might come up with a dozen questions, but that’s a good sign.
During my first child I realized that children need very clear instructions and sometimes you need to ignore them.
Behavorial patterns that may need correction
A child sometimes behaves badly at this age, screams or throws tantrums, just to draw your attention or get away with what they want.
In these situations, just learn to ignore them. They will understand that this behavior doesn’t work.
I have seen many toddlers will just sit or simply lie down and start crying and yelling at a super market to compel the parent get him what he wants.Also toddler care is must thing when it comes to the parenting part
Once if you give in to this behavior, I can guarantee you this will keep repeating and the frequency of tantrums will increase with Age.
At the same time show them great support if they behave well. Give them stars or smilies if they are good while you were out.
Occasionally treat them to something they like. You can buy them a small toy each month and remind them that its a reward for their good behavior.
This helps them to be in track.
While dealing with the toddler age range, always remember what are you signaling to them by your behaviour. Make them understand at this age that you will support good and ignore the bad.
Another thing you need to keep in mind is that a child of this age often throws a fit, if they are hungry or thirsty. They will not tell you but simply become cranky and difficult to handle.
Make sure you feed them well before going out and always carry drinking water even if you are going to the park.
Scolding and scaring doesn’t definitely work with toddlers. Please keep in mind that your toddler at this age doesn’t understand the difference between right and wrong.
While the child is exploring and developing social and emotional side, they still don’t understand anything if you scare or scold them.
While sometimes their behavior can be frustrating for the parents, try to distract your child. This works 99% of the time. Change of environment and distraction always help.
Toddler age range communication
Communication is important.
This is true in every stage of life.
Even when your child is a toddler, she communicates in different form.
They may speak, point at objects, cry or smile….all to communicate with you and make you understand their state of mind.
At this age, they are avid listeners.
They will try out all you say.
It is a good idea to choose your words carefully around them.
Sing, laugh, complement, show excitement and do all things positive around them.
They will pick up the positive vibe.
One concern parents have for some children is speech delay.
Parents often compare their child with other children of similar age, and get scared.
Why their child is not speaking yet?
You have to understand and have patience.
Each one of us are different.
While it is a good idea to get them medically checked if your are uncomfortable, keep in mind in most cases it is just that each child develops differently.
So what you can do if you feel the Child’s speech is getting delayed, but medically everything is just fine.
“WHAT CAN YOU DO”
- Speak any one language with them
- While the child is playing, let him hear recorded sounds of the same language.
- Speak to the child more often and repeat same words.
- Reward your child once in a while when he repeats words correctly.
- Tell them short stories in simple words. Stories hold attention and they learn better with age related story telling.
Toddler age range - your introspection helps at times!
If you want your child to be polite, set the example. Talking back, interrupting, irritation in listening to long conversations should all be avoided consiously in a Child’s presence.
As it is said, be what you want your child to be.
Personally I believe in this 100%.
I have changed for the better after I became a mother.
We all do and that’s why children are such a blessing.
My first born, my darling son spoke very late till around 2.5 years.
Honestly I was worried. With the other stress factors, we were also asking ourselves, how will this fellow manage school going?
Then we realized a very funny happening and our big mistake.
This little fellow was extremely lazy back then and smart!
Sometime through our daily behavior, he figured out that he can get us do what he wants just by his actions.
He need not speak!!!..
The kid will point and ask for his favorite food.
He knew where I stored each of his favorites in the kitchen!
Even to visit the park, get his toys, go to the loo etc.
He would just action it out and we obliged for the longest time.
That was a mistake.
But now, he is a handsome, caring, chattering young boy about to be in his teens and he is doing well overall.
So parents don’t fret about your child’s verbal communication.
Check for lapses in your ways that you may sometimes do unaware and because you are inexperienced.
Any signal is a very strong signal to your child of this age.
However, do check with a medical professional if you feel the child is way behind normal or having trouble speaking like stammering etc
Toddler age range - Non verbal communication
Non verbal communication is also a very important form of communication not only at this stage but till they are a teenager and beyond.
Your body language, tone of voice, pitch everything signals your toddler.
Try showing them your wide eyes and they will react.
They will know when you are in a hurry and when you are frustrated and angry simply by your body language and tone.
So keep the home environment positive.
Hygiene & Childcare
Maintaining hygiene and bathing a toddler is a task!
Like really! Specially for new moms.
Even if you have help, you are going to be a bit finicky about their hygiene.
I understand, It is completely normal.
Let me give you a few tips to make your life easy.
“WHAT CAN YOU DO”
- Cover the child in full sleeves and full tracks even at home.
- Depending on the weather you can choose the material, but try not to keep parts of the body bare.
- They might crawl, walk unsteadily, fall down, touch dirt, pour food etc. If you cover the body at least you will spare cleaning the entire body multiple times. In such cases, you can just change them to new clothes, wash the hands, legs and mouth.
- Always have a bib around their neck. The drooling can be handled better.
- Carry wet wipes wherever you go without fail. This is a life saver. Have a packet in your handbag.
- While bathing, the little one might cry. It takes a while to make him understand that it is a routine procedure he has to go through. Keep the water slightly warm to the room temperature. Keep your palm on his chest, and then pour water. This was he will feel secure and gradually start enjoying bathing.
- Give him toys in his bath tub.
What more can you do
“WHAT CAN YOU DO”
- Bath him in a small tub. A lot of water around may scare him.
- While washing his head, try not splashing water on his face. This is why most kids are scared of water while bathing. You can clean his face later with a wet towel and lay him down to wash his hair. Alternately you can use something that doesn’t allow water to get to his face. We get a few bathing caps for toddlers these days for this purpose.
- Immediately after bathing, wrap the child in towel before opening the washroom door. The sudden temperature difference is not good for the child and they also feel uncomfortable
- Make sure they brush twice a day from the beginning.
- Dental care is also very important right from the time your little one starts having tooth. Along with tooth what’s most important is healthy gums which many of us ignore.
- Try getting a toothpaste that is medicated to that age. It should not be a problem if they swallow a bit, which they eventually will. Use drinking water in the brushing process. Also massage their gum gently with your clean fingers or wet cotton wool.
This is an activity you really want to start….to get rid of all those diapers and other baggage that come along with it.
Now how do you know when to start?
If you ask me, you can start anytime after the baby barely starts sitting.
Yes at this stage also you can start toilet training them.
But at this stage it requires hard work, though its absolutely worth it. The earlier you start , the better.
It will help if you have a help with the baby when they are about toddler age range kids.
I mean another member in the house who can assist you.
Toilet training is about creating a habit.
If you can make the baby habitual to use a potty seat, She will do it there. But to create this habit, you will have to be vigilant.
Every half an hour you need to take the baby to the wash room.
Initially, You need to carry the baby and hold her near the toilet at a time you feel she is ready for it.
Don't loose patience...
If you try it consistently for few days, She will do it. The first time she does it you need to appreciate, clap and show her that this is what she should be doing every time.
Slowly she will start to signal you that she needs to go.
For example she will point at the washroom or cry when she feels she needs to go. You need to take her immediately, else she can’t hold.
This will happen but you need to keep trying.
If you can do this activity regularly, she will gradually use only the toilet and refuse to do it anywhere else.
Then you can gradually start using the diapers only during sleep or while you go out.
But I understand this is not possible to train them this early always.
Specially if both parents are working.
In such cases which is common, you need to wait until the toddler shows some sign of readiness.
When you see your child can put the pants up and down, Shows interest in using the toilet, wants to see how you use it, tells you that she wants to do it, you have to start training.
This is very subjective. But generally it need some persistence for any child to understand that he should do it only in the toilet.
Keep a step stool under the toilet seat so that the child can get up easily and also to keep his feet on the stool so that his legs are slightly crunched to his abdomen.
In this position she can empty bowel easier.
Healthcare for toddler age range
In this article we are going to give you some ideas on how to be prepared for health care of your toddler age range kid based on different situations.
- Concerns – Write down your concerns as and when you realize.
- Allergies – In case if your child is allergic to anything, write in down. You should consider food items, dust, any particular material, everything and check if your child is allergic to them. Sometimes, illness can be avoided just by being aware.
- Immunization – Keep her immunization record handy and take them at every doctor visit.
- Record – Keep the doctor record handy and go through them first when your child is sick. Sometimes, you will see repetitions in the type of illness. In that case you can follow the general instructions given by the doctor before taking her to doctor visit. Medicines to be given only at doctors prescriptions.
- Mental health – As parents you will have to deal with various anxiety issues with your child and you need to be prepared for this when they turn around two years of age.
- Separation -Anxiety, Social anxiety, anxiety related to school and friends are common. They will be fine with age. You just need to have patience and show the child that everything is fine and all is well. If you feel too uncomfortable and find it unnatural for her age, do consult a medical practitioner.
I am sure all of you reading this article are parents and one thing that you are most careful about is the safety of your kiddos.
I will just note a few points that you may have missed or yet to do.
WHAT CAN YOU DO
- Secure all sharp edges in your house.
- Secure all power points where your child can reach.
- All cables, ropes and threads should be kept away from toddlers. They will not know the usage of these items and out of curiosity and play might strangulate or hurt themselves.
- Threads are very dangerous as it can cut the soft skin of your baby.
- All cleaning essentials, medicines, spices, knives, pins, etc should be kept away from toddlers.
- Keep your wine and alcoholic beverages out of reach of toddler age range.
- If you have pets, give extra care to hygiene and safety(When I myself was a little girl, I got almost bitten by my uncle’s doggy as I accidentally stepped on its tail!)
- Be careful with the steps. Secure gaps in railings if any.
- Keep your door latches in check and keep the keys of all doors in a common hall that you can access easily. I have heard children getting accidentally locked and this scares the hell out of them
- Bath tubs, swimming pools or water bodies if any have to be kept in watch. Do not keep bath tub filled ever with open washroom door. Swimming pools need to be kept in watch or covered when not in use.
- Use baby monitors in the house as they get mobile.
- Keep all washroom doors closed and make sure the child cannot get in without your attention. Toddlers very often like to collect water from the commode. There have been incidences of them drinking the same too.
- Do not let strangers or lesser known people play with your toddlers.
- If you have a nanny, make sure to do the background check and see her residence yourself before employment.
Toddler age rest & sleep
To keep your munchkin in action and always at his best, you have to give him a patterned rest and sleep schedule.
Around 12 to 14 hours of sleep a day is what is needed for a toddler age range.
A few hours during the day is just fine.
Just make sure the time and place of sleep are regular. Changing the time or place where they sleep can lead to irregular pattern which might make your day unplanned and not so easy.
This will change over time and you need to figure out what suite you and your baby best. Getting your baby overtired will make it difficult and they get cranky and unsettled if they are over tired.
So as per their schedule, school timings and feed times develop a routine and stick to it. Slowly they will start following without mush of your efforts.
Keeping a favorite toy in their cot is a good idea as this creates association and helps them sleep faster. Kids also feel secure with an item of familiarity.
You need to make sure that they are well fed and hydrated while they sleep. This will give a better quality of sleep and help them grow better.
I think we have covered some important aspects of toddler age range. There are endless concerns that might occur at any stage of growing up. So we have tried to cover some of the common points that will help parents specially the first timers. There are certain things that are good to know and prepares you for the times to come!!